Skip to Content

College of Arts & Sciences
Department of Anthropology

Information for Transfer Students

 Transferring between USC campuses: 

A student who wishes to transfer into the College of arts and sciences from another USC campus must fulfill one of the following:
1. Be in good standing, meet the admission requirements for a baccalaureate degree on the Columbia campus, and have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher; or 
2. Be in good standing and have completed 30 semester hours with a GPA of 2.0 or higher on a USC campus. 

Transferring from other institutions: 

1. Complete your application for admission to the University. Be sure that you have submitted a completed application, including transcripts from all previous colleges and universities, to the University of South Carolina Office of Admissions. Apply as early as possible.
2. Confirm your admission to the University. After your acceptance, the Office of Admissions will officially notify you by mail. If you have questions about your status, please call the Office of Admissions at (803) 777-7700 or toll free at 800-868-5872. 
3. Have the required immunizations. The University requires certain immunizations to protect the health of all students. You will receive information in your acceptance packet about which immunizations you must have and the documents you need to provide. Please be sure to take care of your immunizations in a timely manner. If you have had all the required immunizations prior to coming to the University, please report that information as early as possible. If you need additional information about this requirement, please contact the Thomson Student Health Center at (803) 777-9511. 
4. Attend Transfer Orientation. Transfer Orientation introduces you to the University community and is the best way for you to complete the evaluation of your previous credits, advisement, and registration as quickly and easily as possible. Placement testing for foreign languages and mathematics is also part of the Transfer Orientation program. To sign up, or if you need more information, please call the Office of Orientation and Testing at (803) 777-2780. 
5. Transfer placement tests. Transfer students who have studied a foreign language in high school within the past five years must take a placement test in that foreign language. Transfer students who have taken a beginning foreign language course (commonly 101) or a beginning language sequence (commonly 101 or 102) at another college or university must take the placement test in foreign language.
Transfer students with no previous coursework in mathematics who want to take mathematics here must take the placement test. Some majors, such as psychology and economics, require that students take courses in mathematics. If you're not sure whether you need to take a placement test, please call the Dean's office at (803) 777-2993 for more information. To inquire about placement test schedules and locations, please call the Office of Orientation and Testing at (803) 777-2780.
6. Understand the College of arts and sciences curriculum. During the academic session that is part of Transfer Orientation, the Dean's office of the College of arts and sciences will introduce you to thte curriculum and programs of the College and will answer your questions. A transfer credit evaluation will have been prepared for all students who sign up for Transfer Orientation in advance. A transfer credit evaluation is required for you to be advised by your major department. Please carry with you unofficial copies of transcripts from all previous colleges and universities and, if possible, copies of catalogues for those schools.
7. See your Advisor. After you have received your transfer credit evaluation, you will be directed to your major department advisor. If possible, familiarize yourself with the Guidelines for Advisement, the Master Schedule, and the requirements for your major as described in the University Bulletin. The major department advisor will review your requirements and advise you for class.
8. Register for Classes. After being advised, bring a copy of your advisement form to the Dean's office in Gambrell 252 for clearance and then proceed to the registration site (to be announced) to complete your registration for courses and other activities, such as having your University identification card made.

If you have any further questions, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences, Dean's Office at (803) 777-2993.