The Bachelor of Arts curriculum in Art History gives students a broad knowledge of art and the cultures that generate it. Students develop skills in theory, research, analysis, and criticism. The Master of Arts allows students to pursue in-depth knowledge in areas such as Renaissance and Baroque art and architecture, 18th-century to contemporary European art and architecture, American art and architecture, modern Chinese art, and photographic and film history.
Why Major in Art History?
A degree in Art History opens doors to many career options. Graduates with a BA or MA in Art History generally pursue careers in gallery or museum administration, teaching, or working within historical organizations. Some Art History majors may continue onto graduate school for a PhD and become university professors or museum curators. Others may put the critical and analytical training they acquired through Art History to good use by continuing their education with advanced degrees in alternative fields, such as Law or Business.
Alumni of the University of South Carolina’s Art History program have gone on to hold successful careers in a number of fields, including:
- Executive Director at the Frist Center for the Visual Arts
- Deputy Director at the Columbia Museum of Art
- Senior Curator at the Dallas Museum of Art
- Assistant Professor of Art History at Florida State University
- Gallery Manager and antiques dealer in New York City
- Self-employed Art Appraiser in Greenville, SC
- Interlibrary Loan Manager in the University of South Carolina Libraries
- Art Librarian at the University of Louisville
- Librarian at a public library in North Carolina
- Fulbright Scholar in Germany
- Adjunct Instructor at the State College of Florida
- Art Teacher at an international school in China
- PhD Candidate in Visual Communication
- Social Media Manager for an art investment company
- Assistant Registrar at The Chrysler Museum
- Programs Director at United Way of the Midlands
- Intern at Crawford Conservation in Lexington, SC
- Independent Curator in Paris
- Elementary School Teacher in Lexington, SC
- Curatorial Assistant at the National Museum of Wildlife Art
For more information about the many opportunities and career paths available to those with a degree in Art History click the following link.
What Can I Do with This Major?
Art History News
MA in Art History
The Art History MA Program is accepting applications for the fall of 2017:
Art History Announces Spring 2018 Course Offerings
Art history professors plan to offer an exciting array of courses in Spring 2018. Offerings include regular favorites, special topics, and newly designed courses. See this list for a short description of each course. Course Descriptions