Rebecca Boyd Named Quarterfinalist in Screenwriting Competition
Media Arts Instructor and SVAD Undergraduate Coordinator Rebecca Boyd was recently a quarterfinalist in the 2015 Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting Competition. The Nicholl Fellowship was established by The Academy (the organization that awards the Oscars) in 1986 and is now widely considered the world’s most prestigious screenwriting competition.
In 2015, there were 7,442 submissions, and the quarterfinalists represented the top 5%. Rebecca Boyd was the only quarterfinalist in South Carolina this year. Her script In Spite of It All was described by Nicholl readers as:
- “just brimming with Irish wit and sass”
- “the most playful and lighthearted Civil War story I’ve ever read”
- “a sweet, well crafted romance, with a totally unique setup”
- “alternately funny and horrifying, all while not feeling overdone”
- “a captivating script told in a unique voice”
Rebecca serves as an academic advisor at the School of Visual Art and Design and teaches in the Media Arts program.