A & S Stockroom
The A&S Science Stockroom is responsible for procuring all goods and services for the college Stockroom. This responsibility entails managing large volumes of chemicals and laboratory supplies to support the ongoing research of the college.
631 Sumter Street, GSRC Room 109
Columbia, SC 29208
Stockroom hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Holiday hours will be posted, as applicable.
Manager: Jan Miron
Supply Manager: Coyet Greene
Shipping and Receiving Clerk: Nicholas Kraft
Arts and Sciences Stockroom Catalog
Note: When searching for Bio-Rad items in the catalog, the majority will begin with a “P”. There are exceptions.
- Set up a new individual account: Complete the Database Information Form with correct accounting information, select a database ID number, and obtain signatures from the PI or Business Manager.
- Make purchases:
- Pick up the hand-held device on the counter.
- If applicable, select from the list of approved accounts.
- Pick up your items throughout the Stockroom, and scan the barcode label for those products.
- After all products have been selected, press "complete" and "OK" on the device.
- Return the hand-held device to the cradle on the counter.
- Stockroom staff will provide a detailed statement of your purchases, upon request.
- Request that a new item be stocked: If you have an item that may be needed for multiple users, a request can be made to the Stockroom manager to add a new item to inventory.
- Receiving and delivery from couriers: The Stockroom does not deliver packages to research laboratories or offices. An official email will be sent to labs or offices when items are received. Please send a representative to the Stockroom to sign receiving forms and pick up your packages.
- Personal items disclaimer: The Stockroom discourages the shipment and receiving of personal items through the Stockroom. If personal items are shipped or received, the staff is not responsible to loss, theft, or damage of personal items.
- Shipping: The Stockroom will assist with scheduling and pickup of instructional or research items by FedEx, UPS, etc. The Stockroom will also assist with the pickup of large items by freight companies. Please see Stockroom staff if you need assistance in completing the appropriate forms for courier shipping. If shipping overseas packages, Stockroom staff will provide a Commercial Invoice.
TRANSPORTING HAZARDOUS MATERIALS:
- Safety Containers: All liquid chemicals and solvents must be transported in a USC Health & Safety approved safety container. The Stockroom has safety containers available for purchase.
- Authorization Locations: All liquid chemicals and solvents may only be purchased by personnel located in the GSRC/PSC/Coker/Sumwalt complex.
- Protective Gear: Personnel purchasing liquid nitrogen and solvents from 55 gallon drums must wear approved eye protection and gloves. If the individual does not have these items, the Stockroom will provide them for use while dispensing liquid nitrogen or products from drums.
- Scientific State Contracts & Representatives:
Bio-Rad, Representative: Kelly Weinel – 919.771.6476
Fisher Scientific, Representative: Mary Morales - Mobile 803.800.4447 - Customer Service 800.766.7000
Staples Advantage, Representative: Heather Davis at 803.727.7654.
Internal Staples Advantage liaison administrator: Savannah Hulon, firstname.lastname@example.org, Purchasing Department, University of S. Carolina, 803.777.4117.
Staples.com and Staples Advantage are not the same. In order to see USC pricing, and initiate orders, through Staples Advantage you must have a Customer ID. Please contact Savannah Hulon above and she will assist you. If preferred, the Stockroom will continue to place orders for you.
- State Contract for Laboratory, Chemicals and Research Supplies
- SC Budget and Control Board Materials Management Office
- Staples Advantage
- USC Purchasing Department 1600 Hampton Street, Columbia, SC. 29208, Phone: 803-777-4115, FAX: 803-777-2032
- USC Environmental Health & Safety
SC CONSOLIDATED PROCUREMENT CODE:
Guidelines for quotes/bids
- Up to $2,500: None, as long as the price is deemed fair and reasonable
- $2,500 - $10,000: Solicitation of 3 written quotes
- $10,000 - $50,000: Preparation of a written solicitation for quotes by the Purchasing department, advertisement in South Carolina Business Opportunities (SCBO)
South Carolina Tax Code Section 12-36-2110 (D), provides a maximum sales and use tax of $300 on the sales of machinery or equipment used directly and exclusively for research and development has been repealed and replaced by Code Section 12-36-2120 (56). Code Section 12-36-2120 (56) has been added to provide a total exemption from the sales and use tax for machines used directly and primarily in research and development, in the experimental and laboratory sense, of new products, new uses for existing products, or improvements of existing products. A printed copy of this form must accompany your purchase requisition.
- Vermont SIRI MSDS Search engine
- MSDS pages can also be found on the VWR and Fisher Scientific web sites
- Click here to visit the Chemistry & Biochemistry safety web site
- Click here to visit the USC Environmental Health & Safety web site
- Many supplier catalogs are available for review in the Stockroom
- ChemSources-USA: A chemical buyer's guide and index of chemicals
The following forms are available from the Stockroom:
- Commercial Invoice for international shipments