- PhD, University of California, Davis, 2004
- MS, University of Montana, 1995
Areas of Specialization
- Creative Nonfiction
- Nature Writing
Recently Taught Courses
|Advanced Creative Nonfiction Workshop
|Introduction to Creative Writing
|Workshop in Environmental Writing
|Workshop in Memoir
|Workshop in Nonfiction Essay
Current Research Projects
I am currently working on a book called Backyard Jungle, about people and wildlife learning to coexist in urban habitats. The book ranges from my own backyard and its burgeoning population of squirrels, possums and bees, to the backyards of India and Brazil.
- West With the Rise (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2006).
- Neighborhood Levee, Neighborhood Marsh. Ecological Restoration 27.3 (2009): 339-342.
- Release Date. Short Story 6 (2009): 37-58.
- Periphery. ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and the Environment 16.1 (2009): 145-158.
- "The Restoration Quandary: Biological Invasions and Leslie Marmon Silkos Gardens in the Dunes," in Reading Leslie Marmon Silko: Critical Perspectives on Gardens in the Dunes. Ed. Laura Coltelli (Pisa, Italy: University of Pisa Press, 2007).
- "A Mosaic of Landscapes: Ecological Restoration and the Work of Leopold, Coetzee, and Silko." Coming into Contact: New Essays on Ecocritical Theory and Practice. Ed. Adam Sweeting (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2007).
- The Vernacular of Disaster. Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment (ASLE) Conference. Victoria, BC, 2009.
- Neighborhood Levee, Neighborhood Marsh. Human Flourishing and Restoration in the Age of Global Warming Conference. Clemson, SC, 2008.