Faculty and Staff Directory
Department of English Language and Literature
|Phone Number:||(803) 576-5889|
PhD, University of California, Davis, 2004
MS, University of Montana, 1995
Areas of Specialization
• Creative Nonfiction
• Nature Writing
Recently Taught Courses
• Environmental Literature
• Advanced Creative Nonfiction Workshop
• Introduction to Creative Writing
• Workshop in Environmental Writing
• Workshop in Memoir
• Workshop in Nonfiction Essay
My Backyard Jungle: The Adventures of an Urban Wildlife Lover Who Turned His Yard into Habitat and Learned to Live with It. Creative nonfiction exploring the limits of coexistence in urban environments (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2013).
Paperback edition, April, 2014.
RECENT NONFICTION ESSAY
"Gardening for Climate Change," The New York Times, May 3, 2014 http://nyti.ms/1s7CWMX
• PRI (Public Radio International), Life on Earth http://bit.ly/1olxQx9
• WHYY Philadelphia NPR Radio Times http://bit.ly/1mlbd6w
• WGN Chicago, The Bill Leff Show, http://bit.ly/1dJJJs6
• CT WNPR Where We Live http://bit.ly/SlUurO
• MA NPR Inquiry with Mark Lynch, http://bit.ly/1aEPGRc
PUBLIC APPEARANCES AND INVITED TALKS
• My Backyard Jungle chosen for First-Year Reading Experience, Urban Honors College, Portland State University, Portland, OR 2014.
• Public Reading, AJC Decatur Book Festival, Atlanta, GA 2014.
• Public Reading, South Carolina Book Festival, Columbia, SC 2013.
• Invited Public Reading and Individual Writer Conferences, Sandhills Writers Conference, Augusta State University, Augusta, GA 2012.
• Invited Public Reading and Class Visit, Furman University, Greenville, SC 2012.
• Invited Public Reading and Class Visit, Center for Energy, Environment and Sustainability, Wake Forest University, Greensboro, NC, 2012.
• "Where the Wild Things Are," American Way, http://bit.ly/1jih6o3
• "USC Professor Studies the Collision of Nature and Man, Starting in his Own Backyard," The State, http://bit.ly/1mDmJvj
• The Atlantic (online), http://bit.ly/1jotIY5
• National Geographic (online), http://bit.ly/1bdYzRK
• Places (online), http://bit.ly/1dNNfju
• Conservation (online),http://bit.ly/1dNKFKm
• Reviewed in Nature, BBC Wildlife, Publisher's Weekly, Booklist, Kirkus Reviews, Library Journal.