Faculty and Staff Directory
Department of English Language and Literature
|Phone Number:||(803) 777-6595|
|Curriculum vitae:||Download PDF|
PhD, Louisiana State University
MA, Arizona State University
Areas of Specialization
• Performance Studies
• Visual Cultural Studies
• Critical Methodology
Recently Taught Courses
SPCH 230 Business and Professional Speaking
SPCH 260 Argumentation and Debate
SPCH 330 Small Group Communication
SPCH 340 Literature and Performance
SPCH 411 Arguments in Cultural Studies
SPCH 701 Teaching Speech Communication
• Winner of the 2010 National Communication Association’s Lilla A. Heston Award for Outstanding Scholarship in Interpretation and Performance Studies.
• Winner of the 2005 National Communication Association's Golden Monograph Award for the essay, "The Aesthetic of the Unfinished: Ethics and Performance, " published in Text and Performance Quarterly.
Current Research Projects
My communication scholarship lies at the intersection between performance, cultural, and visual rhetorical studies. I employ theories of performance and visual representation to critically investigate popular and historical multi-mediated representations of the human body. My analyses focus on how identity is visually and discursively produced, performed, and constructed in order to explore possibilities for critical and social agency.
• Tattoos in American Visual Culture (New York: Palgrave, 2007)
• "Movement and Resistance: (Tattooed) Bodies and Performance." Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 4.1 (March 2007): 51-73.
• "The Movement of Interpretation: Conceptualizing Performative Encounters with Multimediated Performance." Text and Performance Quarterly, 26.2 (April 2006): 138-161.
• "The Aesthetic of the Unfinished: Ethics and Performance." Text and Performance Quarterly, 24.1 (January 2004): 1-19. (Winner of 2005 National Communication Association Golden Anniversary Monograph Award)
• “Becoming Publics.” National Communication Association Convention, Washington DC: November 2013.
• "Digital Moments and Technological Movements in Performance." National Communication Association Convention, Chicago: November 2009.
• "Structures of PresencMedia, Movement, and Music." National Communication Association Convention, San Diego, CA: November 23, 2008.
• Editor-Elect, Text and Performance Quarterly (2014-2015, editorship 2016-2018)
• Chair, Performance Studies Division of the National Communication Association (2011-2012)
• Editorial Board Member of Liminalities: A Journal of Performance Studies and the PSD National Review Board.