Faculty and Staff Directory
Department of English Language and Literature
|Phone Number:||(803) 576-5905|
PhD, Stanford University, 1996
Areas of Specialization
• Postmodern American Poetry
• Artists' Books
• Experimental Narrative
• Science Fiction
Recently Taught Courses
ENGL 101 Alien Reflections
ENGL 286 Introduction to Poetry
ENGL 386 Impossible Cities: Architectures of Postmodernism
ENGL 426 Modern American Poetry
ENGL 760 American Poetry Since 1900
ENGL 825G Postmodern Pages: A New Poetics of the Book since 1950.
Current Research Projects
I have completed an article entitled "Transformations of the Poetry Book as General Economy: Darren Wershler-Henry's The Tapeworm Foundry," and am in the process of finishing another article on Fiona Templeton's Amnesty International performance art work Cells of Release.
• This is the full version of the article published in American Book Review January/February 2014, complete with notes and works cited list.
• "Of 'men and mutations': The Art of Reproductions in Flatland." The Journal of Artists' Books 24 (Fall 2008): 4-11.
• "Gendering 'Otherspace': The 'Martian Ty/opography' of Johanna Drucker and Brad Freeman." Science Fiction Studies 35 (March 2008): 88-104.
• "'The Breakdown of Order Now Assured': The Book Poem and Johanna Drucker's Simulant Portrait." Textual Practice 18.2 (Summer 2004): 283-295.
• "A Tale of Two Keys: Rosmarie Waldrop's Poetics of the Book." How2 1.8 (Fall 2002), www.scc.rutgers.edu/however/v1_8_2002.
• "'If This Were the Place to Begin': Little Magazines and the Early Language Poetry Scene." Talisman (2002); reprinted as The World in Time and Space: Towards a History of Innovative American • Poetry in Our Time. Ed. Edward Foster and Joseph Donahue. 298-320.
• "Capturing Calliope: Epic Disjunctions in Neil Gaiman's Sandman." Presented at the annual Literature and Culture Since 1900 Conference, U. of Louisville, February 2008.
• "Transformations of the Book," a Last Lecture series for the Carolina Scholars Association at USC, November 2008.
• "Reproducing Femininity: The Science Fiction Book Art of Johanna Drucker and Steve Tomasula." Presented at the annual MLA Convention, Chicago, December 2007.
• "Levels of Unreadability in Postmodern Literature." Presented at the annual MLA Convention, Philadelphia, December 2006.
• "The 'Consumed Consumer': Models of Audience Participation in Fiona Templeton's YOU - The City. Presented at the 20th-Century Literature Conference, University of Louisville, February 2006.