Requirements For Undergrad Majors
1. General Education Requirements (53-62 hours)
For general outline, see "College Of Arts And Sciences."
2. Major Requirements
- General Major (27 hours) All courses for the major must be at the 200 level or higher. No more than 2 major classes may be 200 level. All others must be 300 level or higher.
- HIST 300 The Historian’s Craft (3 hours)
- U.S. history (3 hours)
- European history (3 hours)
Note: Requirement must be met by a course dealing with a time period different from that chosen for the general education requirement, i.e., modern or pre-modern.
- African, Middle Eastern, Asian, or Latin American history (3 hours)
- Senior Seminar or Thesis (3 hours: should be taken during final 45 hours)
Note: Student should have had an upper-level course in a field relevant to the seminar or thesis.
- Twelve additional hours of 200 level or higher history courses (12 hours)
Note: Student has option to create a concentration. This requirement can be individually tailored, with the advisor’s approval, around a topical, methodological, temporal, or geographical focus. The department will determine into which groups specific history courses fall. Exceptions to distribution requirements must be approved by the undergraduate committee of the Department of History.
3. Cognates, see College Of Arts And Sciences (12 hours)
4. Electives, see College Of Arts And Sciences
The Warwick Exchange Program. Selected history majors or minors spend the junior or senior year at the University of Warwick, Coventry, England, and maintain normal progress toward graduation.