Certificate of Graduate Study in Museum Management
At the center of the certificate of graduate study in Museum Management is the University's McKissick Museum. Established in 1976, the Museum serves as a repository to many valuable campus collections. The certificate program, founded in 1982, utilizes McKissick's holdings and facilities in teaching best practices. Our students receive specialized museum training to complement their firm grounding in their academic subject areas. McKissick adheres to the professional standards established by the American Alliance of Museums, while also providing a source of knowledgeable, trained personnel for the many rapidly growing regional institutions.
The certificate is only available for students who are currently enrolled in a graduate-degree program at the University of South Carolina, or for those interested persons who already hold an M.A. or Ph.D. and are seeking an added credential. The certificate is not available to undergraduates at this time, nor is the program open to anyone with a B.A. or B.S. degree.
Application must be made through The Graduate School at USC. The program has a rolling deadline. Interested parties may apply at any time.
Instructions to make your application
If you are already enrolled in a graduate degree program at the University of South Carolina and wish to apply for the Museum Management Graduate Certificate Program, please take the following steps.
1. Go to www.gradschool.sc.edu
2. Click on the Apply tab on the far right side of the home page.
3. Under the blue heading, “application options,” click on the first link “graduate school application and update request form.”
4. Scroll down to the green heading, “update request form.” You will see that the fourth heading down reads, “Request concurrent enrollment (in a different discipline).” This is what you want to do.
5. Click the garnet link “update request form.”
6. You will then have to login to the apply web page that you originally used when applying for your first academic degree program.
7. I cannot access the application because I am not a prospective student; however, I believe you will have to enter information about the college, degree, and major, just as you do when applying for graduation. The numbers or codes are 395 College of Arts and Sciences, 10 Certificate of Graduate Study, and 577 Museum Management (Certificate).
8. Once you submit the application, please tell me. I do not receive notification that you have applied. I need to be told to be on the lookout for your application. My email address is email@example.com.
9. Once a decision has been made, The Graduate School will notify you.
If you already have a master's degree and wish to enroll for the certificate of graduate study in museum management, please contact the program director.
Dr. Lana A. Burgess, Program Director and Faculty Curator
For information about the costs of graduate education at USC, please see the Bursar's tuition and fees page at http://sc.edu/bursar/fees.shtml.
The Gainful Employment Disclosure for this program is available at http://gradschool.sc.edu/prospective/147.html.
The USC Graduate School General Information Gainful Employment page can be found at http://gradschool.sc.edu/prospective/gainful_employ.asp?page=ge.Information about off-campus graduate student resources is available here.