Have you considered spending a semester or part of a summer abroad? USC is committed to providing these enriching experiences to its undergraduates, and the Department of Political Science is offering more of these opportunities as well. To learn more, visit the Study Abroad office, or view our Summer 2015 offerings below. While the latter are already filled, stay tuned for future offerings.
Department-Sponsored Study Abroad Trips
Foundations of Law and Government POLI 391 (London, England and The Hague, Netherlands)
The purpose of this class is to provide students with an opportunity to explore the evolution and development of law and government in a cross-cultural context. Specifically, we will examine the legal and governmental institutions that regulate policy and resolve disputes both domestically and internationally. A portion of the class will be conducted in the United States with the remaining portions taught in London and The Hague.
Over the course of the semester students will:
- Compare theories of law, governance, and democracy across different political and cultural norms and apply this knowledge to a set of global and national-level legal issues, contexts, and processes.
- Compare the evolution of institutions in the United States to those in England and Netherlands by exploring the values, beliefs, and perspectives underlying and informing the institutions in these countries.
- Develop critical-thinking skills, problem-solving strategies, and the capacity to cope effectively with ambiguous or unfamiliar situations.
- Gain experience and insights related to careers in law and government.
- Information about this program can be found here: https://sc-horizons.symplicity.com/index.php?s=programs&mode=form&id=d6690619fa5b564dead898667d0e7a6b&au=&ck=