Clydesdale Plantation Wreck
The Clydesdale vessel was discovered in the fall of 1991 during a survey of the Back River, a secondary channel of the Savannah River, by a private underwater archaeology firm contracted by the Army Corp of Engineers- Savannah. In 1992, Nautical Archaeologists from the Texas A&M Institute of Nautical Archaeology excavated the shipwreck under the auspices of SCIAA and the Army Corp of Engineers- Savannah. Archaeologists determined that the shipwreck was a rare example of 18th century coastal sloops that once linked Savannah, Charleston, Georgetown, and other major during the Colonial period.
1995. Amer, Christopher F., Hocker, Frederick M. "A Comparative Analysis of Three Sailing Merchant Vessels from the Carolina Coast." Tidecraft: The Boats of South Carolina, Georgia, and Northern Florida, 1550-1950. William C. Fleetwood WBG Marine Press. Georgia. pp. 295-303.
1992. Institute of Nautical Archaeology. "Clydesdale Plantation Wreck." Texas A&M University. (webpage)