About Sloan College
Originally built in 1927 to house the mathematics, engineering, and physics departments, Sloan College was named for Benjamin Sloan (1836-1923), acting president of the University from 1902 to 1903, and president from 1903 to 1906. A native of Pendleton, Sloan graduated from West Point in 1860 and served as a major in the Confederate Army. He came to the University (then chartered as the South Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanics) in 1880 and taught mathematics, physics, engineering, and astronomy in the decades that followed.
Today the Sociology Department is the sole occupant of Sloan College, a 1920s Georgian-style building located in a shady setting near the historic “Horseshoe” on the lush USC campus. Still gleaming from a complete top-to-bottom renovation, Sloan provides offices for Sociology faculty and graduate students, plus a variety of state-of-the-art classrooms, the Laboratory for Sociological Research, and gathering spaces for meetings, presentations, and for just talking shop.