MA in Theatre | Curriculum
This program is designed for those seeking preparation for the Ph.D. or M.F.A. degree as well as for experienced and certified secondary-school teachers who wish intensive academic course work in theatre.
Candidates for the M.A. degree must take a minimum of 31 semester hours in addition to 3 to 6 hours of thesis work, distributed as follows:
- 9 to 12 hours in history and criticism
- 1 hour in research methods
- 6 to 9 hours of critical studies
- 3 hours of dramaturgy or historiography
- 3 hours of seminars in production
- 6 hours of electives
At least 21 hours must be elected in the Department of Theatre and Dance. Candidates must pass a comprehensive examination. A scholarly thesis is required.
For more detail on courses and degree requirements, refer to the Graduate Bulletin.