Skip to Content

College of Arts and Sciences

Undergrad Frequently Asked Question

How do I change my major?

If you wish to change your major within the College of Arts and Sciences, you will need to make an appointment with the appropriate half of the Dean's Office in the College. If you are interested in changing to a major in Curricula Section I (former Liberal Arts), or Curricula Section II (former Science and Math), please go to Flinn Hall, room 110 or call 777-2993 or 2505 for an appointment. Some majors have special admission requirements and procedures; ask the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs about these. If you want to change to a major within another college of the University, you must be accepted by that college. See the dean's office of that college for information on eligibility and requirements. If you are eligible to change into another college, return to Flinn Hall, room 110 to be released from the College of Arts and Sciences.

How do I find out the name of my advisor?

If you are a freshman, you can go to the college website. In most cases, you will be advised by the same person who advised you during summer orientation. The Dean's Office will email you reminding you it is time for advisement. If you are a sophomore, junior, or senior, your advisor is assigned by your major department. Contact the undergraduate director or advising coordinator in your major department.

How do I get an override into a class that is already full?

Overrides into closed courses or those requiring special permission are given only by the professor and department offering the course. Students who receive an override or special permission must also complete a registration transaction through the Visual Information Processing (VIP) web site. Departments do not complete registration transactions for students.

What is an "overload"?

The normal course load is 15-18 hours per semester. If you wish to add an extra course, you must obtain the permission of the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. In order to take 19 or more hours, you must have attained in the previous full semester an average of 3.0 or better on a minimum of 12 hours taken on a non-pass/fail basis. You will need to speak with Dr. Knapp, Dawn Hiller, or Jennifer Shiver to gain this overload of hours.

What is the pass/fail option?

Courses taken on a pass/fail basis cannot be applied to the general education, major, cognate, or minor requirements. They can be used only as free electives. You can elect the pass/fail option on an elective course by completing a pass/fail form, available from the Office of the Registrar, before the date specified in Master Schedule. Note: The pass/fail option is NOT available to undergraduate students whose semester or cumulative GPA is less than 2.000. Also, students are permitted to take no more than eight (8) courses pass/fail.

May I take courses at another institution during the summer?

You may take up to eighteen (18) semester hours of courses in transient status provided that (1) you are in good standing, (2) the courses are approved in advance by your academic advisor and dean on a Special Enrollment Request (AS 30), and (3) the other institution is fully accredited and the course work meets University specifications for transfer credits. Transient work must be passed with a grade of C or higher. All work taken at other institutions is treated as transfer work and is not included in the U.S.C. GPA.

How do I declare a minor?

Once you have declared you major, you may declare a minor by completing an Minor Declaration Form in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs or you can complete it online and bring it to the Dean's Office. See the Minors Bulletin for a complete list of available minors.

What is a second major?

If you're a student in the College of Arts and Sciences, you may complete a second major within the College of Arts and Sciences or the School of Music (Bachelor of Arts track only). You must complete all collegiate requirements (including general education courses and special departmental requirements) as well as the major requirements for the second major. In cases where one major is part of a Bachelor of Arts program and the other is part of a Bachelor of Science program, you must designate one as the official degree of record. A second major eliminates the cognate requirement. You may request a second major by completing a Second Major Declaration Form in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.

What is a second degree?

You may pursue a second undergraduate degree if you complete all requirements for both degrees and if you complete a minimum of 24 semester hours beyond those required for the first degree and a minimum of 144 semester hours total. Additionally, courses accepted toward any requirements (general education, major, cognate or minor) for the first degree may not be applied to the major requirements for the second degree. Students pursuing second degrees are urged to confer with both deans early in the process.

Additional Information:

Transfer Credit Guide (PDF) - For questions regarding the transfer of college credits from S.C technical colleges.

*You will need the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the guides. You may download a copy of it here.